This module provides students with an introduction to advanced PLC programming languages which are widely used in industrial automation. In addition to graphical languages such as Sequential Function Chart (SFC) and Function Block Diagram (FBD), text-based languages such as Structured Text (ST) and Instruction List (IL) are also presented. Numerous programming examples are discussed using real-world applications and problem-solving techniques. This module also provides an overview of the RSLogix 5000 programming language and controller organizer, including tagnames, alias tags, and various editors (ST, FBD, SFC, etc.).
Upon completion of this module the student will be able to:
- Explain the purpose of the IEC61131-3 programming standard and its application in industry.
- Name two text-based languages and three graphical languages.
- Describe the basic programming and operating characteristics of Sequential Function Chart (SFC).
- List the three main parts of a function and explain their application in Function Block Diagrams (FBD).
- Write a simple Structured Text (ST) program.
- Differentiate between Instruction List (IL) programming and ST.
- Define online editing.
- Describe the function of program tags in the RSLogix 5000 software.
- List the four programming languages used by RSLogix 5000.
- Explain the purpose of the Controller Organizer in RSLogix 5000.