This module will provide the student with an introduction to dedicated and PC-based programming terminals and their application in advanced PLC systems. The module also covers software used in programming terminals and describes the basic operating principles of host computer systems. In addition, an introduction to HMI programming terminals is presented with an emphasis on PLC-based systems. Peripheral devices are also described in detail including memory storage and data transfer systems.
Upon completion of this module the student will be able to:
- Define the term programming terminal
- Differentiate between dedicated and PC-based programming terminals.
- Describe the purpose of mini-programmers.
- Explain the function of programming software.
- Differentiate between offline and online programming.
- Name four uses for HMIs in PLC applications
- Describe the difference between HMI efficiency and effectiveness.
- List the main states of HMI alarms.